Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Education...what in the world.

Many of you know that Alexis is in the 5th grade here in CdA. I have always been active in her school education because I want her to become something in the future, whether it be a nurse or lawyer or teacher. Whatever she does, I know she'll succeed. So here is the problem that I am facing. This year, Alexis has her first male teacher and at first she was so excited because she heard he was a great teacher. Now, she would rather transfer to the other 5th grade classroom. Alexis has always received A's and B's throughout K-4th grade. Around Thanksgiving, her teacher has some illness that makes him miss MANY days of work. Alexis is always coming home telling me the substitute teacher that she had that day and how they are always "mean" to all the students. At first I told Alexis they aren't being mean, they have to have the tough look image or else the students will walk all over them. So, Alexis came home last week with a math test with a 33% on it. I was shocked and a little pissed off after Alexis tells me SHE HASN'T EVEN LEARNED THE CRAP THAT WAS ON THE TEST. Now, she isn't in any low math, she is in the accelerated math, right now doing area's of squares and rectangles, algebraic equations, distributive properties, etc etc...you get the point. Alexis had to redo all of the problems and her and I worked through all them together (thank goodness I finished math 108 in college). What I didn't do was "sign" her little test telling the teacher she has redone them. Now...for those who know me know that both of my parents are teachers. I grew up with their way of thinking, so I respect them. But when it comes to my child I have to do what is right. Alexis calls me from school telling me I didn't sign her test, so I tell her I will be in later to do it. She then tells me her sub wants to talk to me, I said OK. Her "sub" gets on the phone and wants to confirm with ME that Alexis actually did her math. HELLOOOOOO? Does she NOT have the 3 pieces of paper (she writes big!) ready to turn into her? At this point, I am so freaking irritated. I am also disgusted by the school ciriculum at this school and the whole school district. Now I know this isn't the teacher's fault, but to make kids take a math test when they haven't learned the stuff because its a mandatory test is just WRONG! Now on to her teacher... her teacher I am not fond of. He is basically a sarcastic man who thinks he knows everything. I sure shut him up when on a phone conference call told him both of my parents have taught school for more than 25 years. Now, because of his illness or who knows why...he is always GONE! How is he supposed to teach my child and other children all they need to know to move on to middle school when this man is gone all the time?! Why is it that my daughter loved school up until this year and gets so frustrated with her math that she now cries? And believe me, I've called my mom to help with some of this because yes I did take 108 in college, but it was 4 years ago or so. And the little math I learned wayyyy back in 5th was 20 years ago.

I looked online at the Idaho statures to see if I could find out legally how many days a teacher can miss, but I couldn't find an answer. I, of course, know how many sick days a teacher can take with pay, but not so many absences from a teacher. My daughter has only missed 1 day this year, and that was because she was throwing up. Its time for a conference with the principal because I am fed up with all of it. I want my daughter to have the best education and her teacher never being there is screwing that up and frustrating both of us!

1 comment:

  1. Remember Alicia, teacher are protected by the union. You might start there!

    ReplyDelete